When you need surgery, you want nothing less than the best from your providers. The surgical staff at Columbus Community Hospital provides just that — exceptional surgical care.
CCH specializes in orthopedic; general; obstetrics and gynecology; ear, nose and throat;, spine; interventional pain management; and urology surgeries.
Our facilities also offer the most up-to-date technology available to perform laparoscopic surgeries and total joint replacements, including ceramic hips and unicompartmental knees.
For more information on specific procedures and specialties, please see below:
- Endoscopy – Endoscopy is a procedure used to visualize the digestive system with a tiny camera on the end of a long, flexible tube. An upper endoscopy examines the esophagus, stomach and a portion of the small intestine. A lower endoscopy examines the large colon. Esophageal manometry can also be performed at CCH. This is an outpatient test used to identify problems in the esophagus that may lead to heartburn and acid reflux.
- E, nose and throat – ENT, or otolaryngology, is the branch of medicine and surgery that specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of ear, nose, throat, head and neck disorders. Surgical ENT procedures include, but are not limited to::
- Insertion of ear tubes.
- Functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS), which is the surgical treatment of sinusitis and nasal polyps. Computed tomography (CT) navigation provides the surgeon with improved anatomical identification, and also ensures improved safety for the patient. For more information on CCH’s ENT surgery offerings, please visit Columbus Otolaryngology Clinic.
- General Surgery – General surgery is a surgical specialty that focuses on abdominal organs, such as the colon, small intestines, stomach, liver, pancreas and gallbladder. General surgeons also deal with diseases involving the skin, breast and hernias.
Many general surgery procedures are performed with a laparoscope, which is a telescopic lens connected to a video camera. Laparoscopic surgery, also called minimally invasive surgery, is a modern surgical technique in which operations are performed through small incisions.
We also perform VNUS radiofrequency ablation to treat varicose veins. This is a minimally invasive procedure that uses radiofrequency to collapse and seal off the blood vessels. For more information on CCH’s general surgery offerings, please visit Columbus General Surgery.
- Interventional Pain Management – Interventional pain management is the treatment of chronic pain and pain disorders with spinal injections to relieve pain. Procedures also include trial spinal cord stimulator implants and radiofrequency nerve ablation to "shut off" the transmission of pain signals to the brain.
- OB/GYN and Women’s Health – Gynecologic and women’s health surgical procedures include hysterectomy (removal of the uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes), and procedures to treat everyday health problems, such as bladder leakage, discomfort, pain during intercourse, pelvic pressure or pelvic prolapse.
- Orthopedics – Orthopedic surgery is the branch of surgery concerned with conditions involving the musculoskeletal system. Orthopedic surgeons use both surgical and nonsurgical means to treat musculoskeletal trauma, sports injuries, degenerative diseases, infections, tumors and congenital disorders.
Common orthopedic surgery procedures include, but are not limited to:
- Total joint replacement, including shoulders, hips and knees.
- Surgical treatment of fractures.
- Arthroscopic procedures of the joints, including:
- ACL reconstruction of the knee.
- Rotator cuff repair.
- Podiatric care of conditions of the foot and ankle.
- Same day services – We offer a variety of procedures on an outpatient basis, including
- Endoscopy procedures.
- Colonoscopies, esophagoscopies and gastroscopes.
- Transfusions, infusions and chemotherapy.
- Spine – Minimally invasive spine surgery involves small incisions and less manipulation of muscles and tissues surrounding the spine. Procedures are shorter, there is less pain and the recovery times are faster.
Minimally invasive spine surgeries include:
- Lumbar decompression.
- Lumbar microdiscectomy.
- Anterior cervical discectomy with fusion.
- Urology – Urology is the medical and surgical specialty that focuses on men’s and women’s urinary tracts and on men’s reproductive systems.
For patients who suffer from kidney stones, lithotripsy is also available monthly at CCH. In this procedure, external shockwaves are focused on the kidney stone to pulverize it, therefore eliminating the need for invasive surgery.
Columbus Community Hospital
4600 38th St.
Columbus, Nebraska 68602-1800