Sports Medicine Program
Columbus Community Hospital’s Sports Medicine program provides comprehensive care for athletes and physically active people of all ages, goals and abilities.
CCH’s Sports Medicine team consists of orthopedic surgeons, athletic trainers and physical therapists. Our experts bring together their knowledge and expertise to collaborate on diagnosis and treatment – giving our patients the best possible care.
Our specialists include:
- Dr. Dustin Volkmer - orthopedic surgeon with a specialty in sports medicine from the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic. Kerlan-Jobe is considered to be the expert in comprehensive sports medicine and rehabilitation.
- Dr. Edward Fehringer - selected as one the Best Doctors in America from 2007-2017, orthopedic surgeon specializing in shoulder and elbow injuries, dislocations, fractures and tendon tears.
- Dr. Richard Cimpl - orthopedic surgeon who provides contemporary sports medicine care, including arthroscopic rotator cuff repair, ACL reconstruction and upper and lower extremity care.
- Dr. Michael McGuire - orthopedic surgeon with a specialty in trauma and tumors of the muscular skeletal system.
For more information on the orthopedic services provided through CCH, visit the Orthopedic Services page
of our website.
- CCH provides athletic training services to the three Columbus high schools. It also provides outreach services for athletic departments at Central Community College and several high schools in the surrounding area.
Our nine athletic trainers provide services for 1,600 athletes, and each year, they cover more than 500 athletic events at these schools:
(Click for service area map)
- Columbus Middle and High School
- Lakeview Jr. and Sr. High School
- Scotus Central Catholic
- Central Community College
- Leigh High School/Clarkson High School
- Howells Public School/Dodge High School
- Schuyler Central High School
- Boone Central High School
- Twin River High School
- St. Edward Public Schools
From game coverage to injury assessment and management, our experienced staff of full-time, certified athletic trainers (ATC) and physical therapists are able to meet the needs of area athletes and their families. Our athletic trainers work closely with athletes’ physicians, coordinating the care they receive and helping to ensure quick access to appointments.
Our athletic trainers also provide XLNTbrain, a neurocognitive test for concussions. Through the XLNTbrain program, CCH’s athletic trainers, sports medicine staff and CCH Concussion Management Clinic staff have access to an online platform and mobile app that includes concussion education, baseline testing, sideline assessment and recovery care plans.
XLNTbrain was developed by neurologist, Harry Kerasidis, M.D., who specializes in cognitive performance and concussions, and has spent more than 25 years studying the physiology of the brain. The program provides an in-depth platform to help all medical professionals involved with the care of a concussed athlete. It is the gold standard in terms of return to learn and return to play procedures.
For more information on CCH’s comprehensive care for concussions, visit the Concussion Management Clinic page
on our website.
Each sport carries its own risk of injury for the athlete. Our physical therapists are highly skilled in the evaluation of active and chronic injuries associated with sports, and can help athletes rebuild strength and movement after an injury.
Our physical therapists can give athletes exercises, stretches and techniques using specialized equipment that can address problems to help people manage pain and prevent permanent damage and recurring problems.
For more information on physical therapy services offered through CCH, visit the Rehabilitative Services page
of our website.
CCH’s Sports Medicine program offers a coordinated approach to care between the hospital’s orthopedic surgeons, athletic trainers and physical therapists.
Haley Perry experienced this coordinated care after she tore her ACL during a soccer game and went on to work with Rob Marshall, CCH athletic trainer; Dr. Dustin Volkmer, CCH orthopedic surgeon and Jon Brezenski, physical therapist at CCH’s Premier Physical Therapy. Read about her experience in this “Haley’s Story: Driven to Return to the Field
For more information on CCH’s Sports Medicine program, contact us at:
Columbus Community Hospital
4600 38th Street
Columbus, NE 68601