What to Expect in the Emergency Department
Upon your arrival at the CCH Emergency Department, you will be seen by a member of our staff who will evaluate your condition. This is called triage.
In an emergency department, every effort is made to provide prompt care, however, it is extremely important that the most acutely ill and injured patients are seen first. You may be asked to wait if another patient's condition is deemed a priority.
CCH’s ED staff needs accurate information about you, your symptoms and medical history in order to offer you the best possible care. With that in mind, we encourage you to be open in all your communications with ED medical staff concerning any health or well-being issues. As required by law, all information provided to ED medical staff is confidential.
To help the ED staff best care for you, please provide them with the following information:
- Any health problems you have had, past or present; onset, duration, what made it worse and what provided relief.
- All complaints of your pain. Identify where it hurts, how badly it hurts, how long the pain has been there, what makes it worse and what improves it. Please include medications, prescribed and non-prescribed, that you have taken for pain.
- All drugs and treatments you have used in the last 15 days or on a continuous basis. If you do not know this information, please bring all your medications in their containers with you when you come to the ED.
- Any drug or food allergies you have.
- Whether you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant or are breast-feeding.
- Any other facts pertaining to your health or well-being.
- Any cases of abuse.
- Current vaccinations.
- Recent travels outside of the country.
When you leave the ED, you will receive instructions on how to continue your care. It is very important that you understand and follow these directions. If you do not understand these instructions, ask for clarification. Patients are responsible for their own care after they leave the ED and they should arrange for follow-up appointments, as directed in their discharge instructions.
Columbus Community Hospital
4600 38th Street
Columbus, Nebraska 68602-1800