Concussion Management Clinic
Concussions are usually caused by direct contact or forceful position changes to the head and/or body that create a whiplash effect to the head.
They lead to the following symptoms, among others:
- A loss of consciousness
- Nausea or vomiting
- Difficulty using or understanding speech
- Slurred or incoherent speech
- Observable incoordination
- Changes in personality or behavior
- Memory deficits
Columbus Community Hospital’s Concussion Management Clinic provides comprehensive care for people with concussions and closed head injuries of varying severity.
CCH’s Concussion Management Clinic team consists of trauma and sports medicine physicians, trauma nurses, athletic trainers, physical therapists, occupational therapists and speech therapists.
- Our athletic trainers provide services to the three Columbus high schools as well as outreach programs for athletic departments at Central Community College and several high schools in the surrounding area. They are trained in XLNTbrain, a neurocognitive test for concussions and work closely with area physicians and school personnel to ensure appropriate decisions are made for Return to Play and Return to Learn decisions following a concussion.
- Wiggles & Giggles Therapy for Kids™ provides a team of physical therapists and speech therapists prepared to evaluate and treat youth to middle school-aged children with closed head injuries and concussions. They have specialized programs and equipment for pediatric patients after concussion.
- Our Emergency Room physicians and nurses are trained in concussion assessment and management. They serve as a 24/7 location for immediate care following concussions. They work with patients’ primary care physicians or providers to help assess and guide treatment for concussions.
- Rehabilitative Services therapists are available to provide specialized treatment for adult patients with concussions. Their team of professionals, including physical therapists, occupational therapists and speech therapists, collaborate to improve cognitive function.
To learn more about CCH’s Concussion Management Clinic, contact us at 402-562-4710.
Columbus Community Hospital
4600 38th Street
Columbus, Nebraska 68602-1800