Columbus Community Hospital Receives Susan G. Komen Grant
The Susan G. Komen Nebraska Affiliate® has awarded a $9,000 grant to Columbus Community Hospital. The Hospital is one of 13 recipients chosen from 29 applications for programs across the state.
According to statistics from the 2012 Community Health Needs Assessment (CHNA), only 46.4% of women in Platte County had received a mammogram in the past year compared to the state’s average of 54.5%. A 2010 report also showed that for every 100,000 residents in the county, 22 deaths were attributed to breast cancer.
In 2013, the Komen Nebraska Affiliate’s local fundraising efforts, such as the Komen Nebraska Race for the Cure®, have enabled it to fund grants totaling $638,969 to support several Nebraska breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs.
At Columbus Community Hospital, the grant from Komen Nebraska will provide funding for 75 mammograms to women in Platte County between the ages of 40 and 70 that have not received a mammogram within the past three years. Women eligible for the program are those who cannot afford insurance or whose insurance does not cover mammography.
“Since early detection and treatment provide the greatest survival rate for breast cancer, it is our goal to provide women in our service area with this life-saving screening,” states Mike Hansen, Hospital President and C.E.O. “Komen funding will remove one barrier in accessing care for these women.”
Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, and the Nebraska Affiliate is one of 120 Affiliates on the front lines dedicated to ending breast cancer in their communities. Komen Affiliates fund innovative programs that help women and men overcome the cultural social, education and financial barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment.
In addition to funding from the Komen Foundation, the Columbus Community Hospital Foundation has also designated matching funds of $9,000 that will provide screenings for another 75 women in Platte County.
“The Foundation is very honored to join the Hospital in the fight against breast cancer, so that cost is not an obstacle to detection or cure.” states Foundation Board Member, Dr. Luke Lemke.
Columbus Community Hospital is a community-owned, not-for-profit hospital. The Hospital is a 47 bed acute care facility licensed by the Nebraska State Board of Health and accredited through The Joint Commission and is a member of the Nebraska Hospital Association (NHA), American Hospital Association (AHA), Voluntary Hospital Association (VHA), Mid-America Hospital Alliance (MAHA) and Heartland Health Alliance (HHA).
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Nebraska Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Nebraska Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in the state of Nebraska. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 402-502-2979 or visit www.komennebraska.org